Skip Module Navigation

Message Bar

Grape products are a regulated export, so it’s important that you know the rules. Please read Wine Australia's compliance information before you apply for a licence.

Why do I need a licence?

Australia helps maintain the reputation of Australian wine and the truthfulness of labelling claims by requiring all exporters to be licensed.

Who needs an export licence?

If you are exporting no more than 100 litres of grape product, you don’t need an export licence. If you are exporting more than 100 litres of grape product (the majority of exports), you need a licence.

Who can apply for a licence?

You can apply for a licence if you are a sole trader, or on behalf of a body corporate including a partnership, a trust (as the trustee) or a company.

What do I need to apply for a licence?

To complete a licence application, you’ll need to have the applicant’s:

  • valid Australian Business Number (ABN) (and an ACN for a registered company or trust)

  • physical business address in Australia

  • contact details, including a postal address and phone numbers.

You’ll also need to know:

  • if the applicant pays the Wine Grapes Levy – a levy paid by grape processors (wineries)

  • if the applicant or an associated entity or individual has had a licence to export grape products from Australia cancelled or suspended, or

  • if the applicant has been convicted of an offence under the Wine Australia Act 2013.

In addition:

  • if the applicant is a company, you’ll need a list of directors

  • if the applicant is a trust, you’ll need a copy of the deed of settlement that establishes the trust,

  • if the applicant is a partnership, you’ll need a copy of the partnership agreement.

How much does it cost?

For a full list of fees, please visit our website

If you need assistance during the application process, please contact the Export Assistance Team on (08) 8228 2000 (8:30 am – 5:00 pm ACST).

Please wait... Loading...